Menu

Friday 21 July 2023

If Gandhiji write about himself, what will he write.

 

Gandhiji's Self-Reflection Document



Greetings to all who come across this document. I, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, often referred to as Gandhiji or Mahatma Gandhi, would like to take this opportunity to reflect upon my life and the values that I held dear. Throughout my journey, I have strived to uphold the principles of truth, nonviolence, and compassion. These principles, which I deeply believed in and practiced, were not mere ideals but served as a guiding force for my actions and decisions. I have often described my nonviolent resistance in India as "experiments with truth," recognizing the importance of seeking and living by the ultimate truth.

My philosophy of nonviolent resistance, often termed as satyagraha, was based on the belief that true power lies in moral and spiritual strength rather than physical force.

My nonviolent resistance movement in India was not just a political strategy, but it was rooted in a spiritual power and a moral ideology.

I advocated for ahimsa, the principle of nonviolence towards all living beings, as a means to achieve social and political change.

This principle of nonviolence was not just about refraining from physical harm, but also encompassed the idea of promoting love and understanding among individuals and communities. I firmly believed in the transformative power of satyagraha, which was not just a tactic of civil disobedience but also aimed at the spiritual enlightenment of both the oppressor and the oppressed. Satyagraha, which can be translated as "truth-force," was a term I used to describe my specific conception of nonviolent action.

It was not just about fighting against injustices, but also about upholding and spreading the truth. Through satyagraha, I encouraged individuals to engage in acts of civil disobedience, boycotts, non-payment of taxes, and non-cooperation with unjust laws and systems.

I saw these acts as powerful tools for social change, as they challenged the oppressive structures and sparked dialogue and reflection in society. Furthermore, I recognized that satyagraha was not a one-time event but rather a continuous process of seeking absolute truth in life. Throughout my life, I strived to live by the principles of ahimsa and satyagraha.

I believed that ahimsa, or nonviolence, was not just a moral code but a dynamic and positive state that required actively promoting love and goodwill.

I implemented this philosophy in all aspects of my life, including the ashram community where I practiced and taught the eleven vows or vrata. These vows included ahimsa (nonviolence), satya (truthfulness), asteya (non-stealing), brahmacharya (celibacy or self-control), asangraha (non-possession or non-accumulation of wealth and possessions), sharirshrama (physical labor or self-sufficiency), aswada (control of taste and moderation in food), sarvatra bhayavarjana (fearlessness or absence of fear), sarva dharma samantva (equality and respect for all religions), swadeshi (self-reliance), and sparshbhavana (empathy and compassion for all beings).

These vows were not just rules to follow, but guiding principles that helped me cultivate truth and nonviolence in my daily life. Through the practice of satyagraha and adherence to these vows, I aimed to not only resist injustice but also to create a society rooted in truth and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment